Raksha Bandhan is not just a festival meant for brothers and sisters but has a profound meaning. The festival is about the protection of God from the influence of evil. Indian sisters and brothers across the world are going to celebrate the Rakshi festival on the 3rd of August (Raksha Bandhan 2020 Date). On this day, sisters will tie a rakhi on the wrist of brothers and take a promise of protection from them.
Raksha Bandhan is one of the most important festivals of India and is celebrated in the month of August, which is the Shravan month in accordance with the Hindu calendar. The date is fixed on the Purnima of Shravan month. It is a Hindu festival which is celebrated in many parts of the Indian subcontinent, notably India and Nepal.
The term Raksha Bandhan means a “protection bond”. During this festival, the sisters tie a beautiful and colored band on her brother’s hand, and this band has a significance, it is a promise that the brother will protect his sister and keep her out of harm’s way.
Raksha Bandhan 2020 Date And Muhurat
Raksha Bandhan 2020 Date to celebrate is 3rd of august which is falling on Monday, and the muhurat timings are:
Rakhi Thread Ceremony Time – 09:28 AM to 09:26 PM
Aparahan Time Muhurat – 02:02 PM to 04:38 PM
Pradosh Time Muhurat – 07:13 PM to 09:26 PM
Purnima (full moon)Tithi Begins – 09:28 PM on Aug 02-2020
Purnima (full moon) Tithi Ends – 09:28 PM on Aug 03-2020
It is believed that the best time to tie Rakhi is the Aparahan (afternoon) time; if for some circumstances that is not possible, the Pradosh (evening) time also works.
Performing Rakhi Rituals
Raksha Bandhan is celebrated in a variety of ways and forms, but it has equal importance for all the people residing in different parts of India. It is an occasion that observes the love and duty between siblings.
As sisters gear up to tie the best Rakhi on their brothers’ wrists, let’s know how to perform the Raksha Bandhan ritual.
- Sisters need to prepare the Rakhi thali (plate), for that you need a small Diya, Akshat (rice mixed with turmeric), kumkum, sweets, and the Rakhi.
- Pray with your entire family. Offer a small pooja at your house’s temple.
- After offering pooja to God. Place a small wooden platform on the floor and put rangoli on all the four sides. Make your brother sit on the platform.
- Both of you must then pray for each other’s well being and long life.
- Apply a tilak with the kumkum on your brother’s forehead.
- Then tie the Rakhi around his right wrist.
- Wave the Arti thali in a circular pattern in front of him.
- Put the Akshat on his head.
- Offer the sweet to your brother.
- Humbly accept the gift that he has bought for you.
The pattern of performing the Raksha Bandhan ritual may vary from region to region, but the principles remain the same.
Distant siblings need not worry either. Raksha Bandhan is almost here but if you have a brother living in a different country, you can pick a rakhi gift of your choice and surprise them with this Rakhi. The rituals can be performed on a video call in the same way.
So, that’s all about the Raksha Bandhan 2020 date, muhurat, and celebrations. The tradition of sisters tying rakhi is followed by many and if you haven’t got a rakhi for your brothers and siblings, then buy one and get ready to celebrate the great festival.